Re: [cc65] cc65 and VICE

From: Ullrich von Bassewitz (
Date: 2000-01-21 12:14:16

> I just 'fixed' it in VICE, but I'll have to see what the others have to
> say about this.

I have written Daniel a mail about the problem, but I did not get an answer
until now.

> Well, what about this solution:
> You're using a kind of stack frame which solely consists of a pointer to
> the previous frame, and you add one pointer which points to where the actual
> stack frame is located on.
> So, the pointer is a kind of BP on the Intel (which actually needs not to
> be used by the code, it's maintened only for debugging purposes), so we
> don't have to change debug info with every change of the stack pointer.
> The 'stack frame' would allow an easy return to the previous stack
> frame when returning from a subroutine.

No way:-) You have solved one problem with this approach and got another:
How do you locate the pointer to the stack frame if it is itself on the
stack, and there is no base pointer?

> Well, I think about adding a symbol bar to the monitor console (in the
> WIN32 port), so some commands could be entered more easily. A memory
> 'window' is on my todo list, too, although I don't know if it should be
> implemented in an own console window (where I do not know how easily
> it could be ported), or to split the console in "text-mode-windows"
> (where we would need something like positioning inside of the console,
> where I don't know if it's possible to port it either).

What's the advantage of using a mouse if you have your hands on the keyboard
anyway? Why not use a set of keys to step through the code or inspect data?
This would allow a text mode interface which is much easier to port to other
operating systems. Apart from that, a windows only solution is no solution
for me. I have a Windows box and vmware running here, but I do not use it
for real work. Just my 0,02DM :-)

P.S.: I'm leaving for the weekend in a few hours, and I'm out of town the
      first few days of next week, so I cannot respond to any mails until