Re: [cc65] linker cfg files

From: Ullrich von Bassewitz (
Date: 2003-04-25 12:05:21

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 12:33:50AM +0200, Groepaz wrote:
> exactly what i said, you insist on doing the dodgy calculation as is, but in
> the linker script :) i say its not needed. tell the linker to read the size
> from the symbols and all is fine. please explain why you think what i say is
> not sufficient coz i really dont get it. except that other linkers work like
> you say, what is the reason not to do it like i suggested? ofcoz the linker
> can know about __STACKSIZE__ if you tell him, it must read the linkerscript
> at first (unless my understanding of the inner workings of the linker is
> totally wrong) and then it knows about the values of defined symbols. it can
> then link everything, including the stack segment (whose size is known). it
> only needs to know that the heap segment gets linked last, since the linker
> must know the remaining space in the memory area you load the heap segment
> into. (if the heap size is specified in linkerscript, heap can be linked like
> any other segment).

I don't like the idea of building knowledge like this into the linker. It is
not just that some symbols have a special meaning, it is also that some
segment names are special, and are treated in a special way. It is rather
difficult to remove kludges like this, once they got added, because existing
code relies on it.

> however, if you just dont like the idea of having a few things like
> "__STACKSIZE__" hardcoded in the linker (your comment suggests that :=)) and
> would prefer the generic (imho overkill here) approach you will indeed need
> expressions and calculate things in the linkerscript like you say....i'm not
> quite sure if that wouldnt be shooting a fly with a cannonball though :=)

I still hope to come up with something that needs just a small (and clean)
enhancement to the linker.