Re: [cc65] Linking question

From: <>
Date: 2008-03-02 22:26:05
On 2008-03-02, at 19:53, Ullrich von Bassewitz wrote:

>> The question: when linking object modules (.o files or .o modules
>> from
>> archived within a .lib file), does the linker always link the whole
>> module in or only the actually referenced parts/subroutines?
> It will always link in the whole module.

Thanks. I asked because I am in the process of converting whole my old
library of useful (to me at least) pieces of code to ca65 and archived
lib files and I initially wanted to group related pieces into common
source files but then I realised that - unless some really clever
tricks are involved in the linker - I may end up wasting the scarce
space by linking unused code from the object modules. It looks like I
have to keep the independent code blocks separate, even if they are
closely related.