Re: [cc65] Compiler Bug (?)

From: <>
Date: 2008-03-31 21:52:46
On 2008-03-31, at 15:31, Mark J. Reed wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:13 AM,  <> wrote:
>> A small question/suggestion: wouldn't it be worth migrating the code
>> repository to SVN and setting up read-only access for anonymous
>> users?
> The former is not a requirement for the latter.

I know, but it is much easier to build a (more or less) secure
anonymous access to SVN. CVS gives a lot of headache in that area and
no, chroot-jailing it is not a solution either.

> I know that
> Subversion is better than CVS in pretty much every way, and is the
> heir apparent to the open source version control crown for that
> reason,

Indeed. It certainly is not the panaceum for all the possible CVS(-
alike) problems. That's why there are other, which suit better some
specific situations. That's why there is git for example. But it is
still much better than CVS in most respects.

> but you can set up anonymous readonly access to a CVS
> repository with significantly less work than migrating the whole thing
> to SVN.

As I wrote - I know it is not trivial but most probably also not
*that* difficult. Repository migration can be done easily. The
problems (more creative work) might arise when converting the build
scripts but I believe there is little (if any) functions of CVS that
couldn't be covered with SVN tools.