Re: [cc65] Memory impact of Atari library compile time defines

From: Daniel Serpell <>
Date: 2009-11-20 12:39:00

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Christian Grössler <> wrote:
> Hello,
> Ullrich von Bassewitz wrote:
>> I cannot really comment on these two. But uppercasing file name string
>> literals in the source code is not really a problem.
> Hmm, yes, of course. But what about user input of filenames? If the C
> code would have to deal with this I think it would have a bigger memory
> impact.

Also, there are DOS environments that accept lowercase filenames, even
you can easily modify DOS25 to accept them. Uppercasing in the runtime
disallows that.

> I've invented these customizable defines in the Atari library makefile
> in order to provide a default configuration which works out of the box
> for most users. ("users" are in this case the developers using cc65,
> not the "end users" running the program.)
> But give advanced users a way to do some adjustments.

Ok, but then I think is better to compile at least two versions of the
runtime library (like atari_small.lib and atari.lib), so that you can
select oneat link time, knowing the limitations of the small version.
I think that apple2 already does that.

I will look the code during the weekend, seeing if something can be