Re: [cc65] Memory impact of Atari library compile time defines

From: Christian Grössler <>
Date: 2009-11-25 20:58:55

Daniel Serpell wrote:
> Also, there are DOS environments that accept lowercase filenames, even
> you can easily modify DOS25 to accept them. Uppercasing in the runtime
> disallows that.

Yes, that was also a reason that I implemented it as a library
compile time define :-)

> Ok, but then I think is better to compile at least two versions of the
> runtime library (like atari_small.lib and atari.lib), so that you can
> select oneat link time, knowing the limitations of the small version.
> I think that apple2 already does that.

I don't think this justifies a new target for cc65. But that's
just me.

But when I saw Fatih's customized crt0.s which moves the
ROM into the RAM beyond and reclaims some memory, I thought
about a new "atarixl" target which does exactly this in the
DOS INITAD routine (not taking space in the final exe).

What do you think about a "atarixl" target?

Similar to the apple2 and apple2enh targets. Btw, Oliver,
what are the exact differences between apple2 and apple2enh?