Re: [cc65] some patches

From: <>
Date: 2010-03-17 19:24:50
On 2010-03-17, at 18:04, Ullrich von Bassewitz wrote:

>> Now - for it to make it to mainstream, instead of patches to the
>> original read/write or anything - can't we simply have those two
>> files in the source tree and add the three commands above to the
>> build process? Even conditionally or so?
> The problem is not with just these files, but with the multitude of
> others.
> With each new file, the number of possible combinations increases.

After thinking again - you are right - there might indeed be some
potential conflicts. While it should not be a problem to have
conditionals for various purpose hardware - with similar purpose
hardware (e.d. C64 with JiffyDOS AND IDE64) then there really would be
an exponentially growing tree of options, which certainly doesn't look

> What's so bad with my idea that someone offers these files for
> download and
> everybody interested can build her own library using these files and
> the
> simple three step process I've already described?

The only problem is with a) people not knowing about those and b) the
reliability of such offer. Like with the Linux kernel - things that
get into the official tree - are there, work (well.. mostly ;-) , and
everyone knows about them. Those which are maintained outside, are all
too often outdated, not available due to some technical/hosting/domain/
whatever reasons or just nobody knows about them..