Re: [cc65] Banking out ROM

From: Christian Grössler <>
Date: 2010-11-19 22:33:33

a follow up to an old thread...

On 15.11.09 15:41, Christian Grössler wrote:
> Fatih Aygün wrote:
>> I wonder why it's not the default start address then. Programs that use R: stuff
>> or any other low loading drivers or extra drive buffers can easily set the start address higher from the ld65 command line. The default shouldn't be that high
>> because it's not the typical case imho.
> I don't remember how exactly I came up with the $2E00 value. Maybe it
> was with a big DOS (MyDOS for many drives) and loaded R: driver.
> I selected it to have a working default value for most cases. Remember,
> the space for the R: driver is not dependent on whether the program uses
> R:, but whether a 850 is being present at boot time.

I know found out how I came up with the $2E00 start address for the Atari :-)

The kermit65 version for the Atari uses $2D20 as start address:

;       now start at a reasonable place
         *=      $2D20           ; about as low as reasonable on atari

$2D20 sounded a bit "odd" to me, so I took $2E00, with the additional benefit to have some extra safeness.

I found this now while I was browsing some old code (see,
the current location for kermit65_cc65.0.1.tar.gz is, btw.).

I also noticed, that spudster is not online anymore (but I should somewhere have a CD with a mirror of
it which I burned back then :-)). I searched and found the original kermit65 source code still available at .

I don't know why John Dunning (the original porter of kermit to the Atari) decided to use $2D20 as start
address. Any ideas?