Re: [cc65] size of .enum?

From: <silverdr1wfmh.org.pl>
Date: 2013-03-31 20:15:59
On 2013-03-31, at 18:53, Ullrich von Bassewitz wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 05:15:33PM +0200, silverdr@wfmh.org.pl wrote:
>> can I somehow use the information from
>>
>> ZP_BYTES_USED = <(__ZP_VARIABLES_LAST__ - __ZP_VARIABLES_START__)
>>
>> to reserve the exact amount of ZP backup storage bytes?
>>
>> 	.res ZP_BYTES_USED
>>
>> wants a constant expression..
>
> This is a circular reference. __ZP_VARIABLES_LAST__ is the space used in the
> memory area, which depends on the number of bytes reserved.

There is no circularity because I try to reserve the space in /another/ memory area for the storage of original content of the ZP locations. But I don't want to waste space unnecessarily by making it bigger than needed or get into strange behaviour when I add some variables and run out of reserved locations.

> Anyway, .res needs a constant, because the linker cannot change what is in an
> object file. Or in other words, the assembler cannot allocate a currently
> unknown number of bytes somewhere.

I understand. What do you believe to be the best approach in such situation, except manual counting of all the defined variables every time?

--
SD!