[cc65] Hello, and a memory corruption (?) issue when optimizing

From: Maik Merten <maikmerten1googlemail.com>
Date: 2013-06-09 16:09:56
Dear all,

last year I got interested to tinker a bit with programming for the C64,
to widen my perspective onto programming a bit (something different from
Java for a change). Also I like old computers ;-)

cc65 gave me the opportunity to create usable results somewhat quickly,
so thanks a lot to everyone involved! I'm sorry to read cc65 is
currently unmaintained, but thankfully this list still seems to exist.

I'm trying to put some finishing touches onto "Nuclear Reaction 2100", a
turn-based strategy puzzle game for the C64, which can be played against
an AI player or a human opponent. It's a "port" of a game originally
written by Robert Akerberg for the Amiga. The GPLv3 source code can be
obtained from

https://github.com/maikmerten/c64-nuclearreaction

The code for sure is a bit clunky here and there, I only have shallow
experience of developing in C. Nonetheless, things appear to work pretty
well.

Either way, I notice that the title screen, which displays a multicolor
bitmap, is corrupted when specifying any of cl65's -O options in the
Makefile. This makes me guess that the binary include, defined in text.s as

.export _titlecard
_titlecard: .incbin "resources/title.koa",2,10001

is getting corrupted due to a different memory footprint of the compiled
code. This is a pity, given that the optimized compile is indeed much
faster (very noticable when the AI player determines its next move). I
assume that I have to somehow shove the includes into a more "safe"
position in memory, but this is only a guess.

Can anybody offer advise?

Thank you very much,

Maik