Re: [cc65] Hello, and a memory corruption (?) issue when optimizing

From: Maik Merten <maikmerten1googlemail.com>
Date: 2013-06-09 17:44:01
Am 09.06.2013 16:45, schrieb Ullrich von Bassewitz:
> Actually, Oliver stated that he has taken over, including new binaries and a
> new mailing list.

Oh, that's quite wonderful news (for me)! The mailing list archives only
run into March 2013, so I must have missed this.

Does this mean the homepage on cc65.org and/or this mailing list is pure
legacy?

Googling for "Oliver cc65" I see that
https://github.com/oliverschmidt/cc65 appears to be the current
repository. I shall check this out!

>> Either way, I notice that the title screen, which displays a
>> multicolor bitmap, is corrupted when specifying any of cl65's -O
>> options in the Makefile.
>
> Which version of the compiler are you using? 2.13.3 has some problems. The
> latest snapshot was a lot better but has been removed from the ftp server on
> request. I think Oliver is offering more up-to-date binaries and I would
> suggest trying them.

I have to try out the new development head over at GitHub, that's for sure.

>> Can anybody offer advise?
>
> I would first try to determine what causes the corruption. To do that, load
> the code into VICE, and write-protect the memory in question. This is done in
> the monitor by setting a break-on-write breakpoint if I remember correctly.
> Then check which code overwrites the image.

Thanks for this advise, I'll try to dive deeper into things if the
current git version doesn't help.

Maik