Re: [cc65] Autostart ROM VIC-20 or C64 template project?

From: Groepaz <groepaz1gmx.net>
Date: 2013-06-29 06:19:39
On Saturday 29 June 2013, you wrote:
> On 6/28/2013 5:35 PM, Groepaz wrote:
> > ie: the key "trick" is to avoid using ANYTHING that uses standard file
> > access. use conio.h for screen exclusively. use cbm_.. functions for
> > disk. forget printf, forget fopen :)
>
> Understood.  I just put them in the template as a placeholder so the
> entire thing would compile and run first time out.

yeah for that better use another target that has more memory...3.5k is really
tight without C already =)

> I was just not expecting that you can't use stdio AT ALL on an
> unexpanded VIC with a ROM.  That implies printf and software stack takes
> more than 3.5K of RAM.
>
> My app is:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> void main(void)
> {
>    printf("hello\n");
> }
>
> I figured you'd have to forego stdio and the rest of the lot to anything
> non trivial on the vic, but I thought at least hello world would compile
> on the vic.

#include <conio.h>

void main(void)
{
    cputs("hello\n\r");
}

:)

the problem with printf really is that... well. as said before, the nice thing
about cc65 is that it tries to be standard compliant - so printf really is
doing a lot of stuff. as oliver suggested, try puts() instead, and have a look
at what impact that has (a lot!, the whole vaprintf or whatever printf calls
can be omitted). now replace by cputs() - the impact will be massive :)

when writing a vic20 program with cc65, you probably also want to take a look
at the size of your software stack... i found that something like $200 bytes
is really good enough for anything i do (i still use $400, however on a c64)
... depending on what your code does, you can probably even get away with just
$100 bytes or so :)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org    http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org        http://ftp.pokefinder.org

Wenn die Menschen nur über das sprächen, was sie begreifen, dann würde es sehr
still auf der Welt sein.
<Albert Einstein>