Re: [cc65] Re: cbm_read blocks on empty rs232 buffer

From: Ullrich von Bassewitz <uz1musoftware.de>
Date: 2013-11-02 19:17:24
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 12:03:21PM +0100, Oliver Schmidt wrote:
>    Sorry, but that statement seems so wrong to me that I can't believe that
>    you really think it might be true.
>    Do you really think that i.e. I only contributed items to cc65 that I
>    personally needed (or wanted)? Isn't the whole idea of "tools" very much
>    about investing into _potential_ usecases in the future?

I don't know if *I* got groepaz correct, but I think you got him wrong
somehow.

Of course we all write stuff, we don't need ourselves (at least not urgently).
Otherwise there wouldn't be a cc65 package in todays form. The thing with the
rs232 in the C64 is that it is really absolutely ugly. That's because a 6551
chip (which is ugly compared to - say - a 16450 or -550) is emulated in
software. This has so many drawbacks that I can understand anybody who refuses
to make this work.

>    He's even willing to spend $100 on it.

I don't want to put this down, but think about it: If you're so great that
such a driver is no problem to you, then $100 is probably what you earn in
less than a hour if working for money. If you think, $100 for a programming
job is a great deal, then chances are, that you're more the Harry Potter type
of guy, and you won't finish the job.

This might explain why no one has taken the challenge until now: The good ones
want to have fun (not money), and the bad ones would take the money but are
not up to the task.

So this is - I think - what groepaz wanted to say. It is not about writing
code to be used by others (groepaz has done that more than just one time),
it's the code for this special purpose.

Regards

Ullrich von Bassewitz                                  uz@musoftware.de
Encrypted email preferred                          PGP Key-Id: 29D93B10