Re: [cc65] printf (C64 library) enables interrupts

From: Bill Buckels <bbuckels1mymts.net>
Date: 2014-07-22 03:11:37
Groepaz said:
>you'd save everyone a lot of time if you would stop ranting and start
>posting patches in order to improve it.

I've been posting  cc65 programs continually, but not in here.

I don't see much point in posting much in here. But I'll give it one last
try...

This will probably get me kicked-off this list but as an example (I have
many) I certainly prefer comments about my cc65 code like:

"I really enjoyed reading this. It is very informative and helped me
understand Apple II programming and double hi-res. I've read other
descriptions of double hi-res, but they lack the code one needs to be able
to actually do it. You're documentation shows the code. And it has the
historical context. I wish all software was this well documented. :-)"

"Double hi-res capability is really lacking in cc65. I wonder if you would
consider writing a double hi-res driver for cc65's TGI (Tiny Graphics
Interface)? It currently only has low-res and hi-res drivers for the Apple
II. Low-res is just too low and hi-res only has 8 colors."

Here was my response. I certainly hope you don't think this is a rant. It's
in fairly readable English (not Broken English) as well...

"Yes, talk is cheap:) And it needs to be backed-up by code and demos."

"My gap analysis thus far shows much lacking including tolerance for
alternate perspective, and imaginative and readable documentation. But I am
determined to plug-along until I have filled all the gaps."

"Oliver Schmidt has done an excellent job thus far in providing the
necessary technical framework to make some of this happen but in order to
provide the Apple II developer with what I know is needed from my experience
in extending Aztec C65 I have much work and documentation to do."

"I understand but I am not certain that tgi provides the necessary
framework"

"I need to satisfy myself that tgi is the way to go. I never much cared for
bgi nor for much that Turbo C and Borland C++ did, even BDE. No doubt that a
driver approach is good for some people though. I am still thinking about
it."

"My big disconnect comes with the amount of effort that I would need to make
to get code included in cc65. I also don't find the attitude open to my
approach and I have been asked to refrain from actively participating in
their list. So they seem to be satisfied with what they have done and they
can carry-on. I have no time or appetite to be bullied. I didn't just fall
out of a tree, and I won't be talked to like I did."

"Aztec C65 was a good compiler and solved many problems. Adapting Aztec
C65's functionality to cc65 is a relevent exercise and not a discussion that
should be dismissed as irrelevent. It starts with being objective about
Aztec C65's features and not ignoring the accomplishments of the past... to
do so is to ignore the very relevence of retro-computing. After many
time-wasting engagements it is less stressful for me to simply do what I
know needs to be done and to forget the general lack of approval and
dismissiveness of a significantly different approach."

"The missing functionality of a seek function in cc65's libraries (with the
exception of the Atari) is a really good example of this close-mindedness. A
seek function is a core library routine. The lack of a seek function is
indefensible, and justifying the lack of a seek function because it doesn't
work on a Commodore 64 is not even worth a word as far as I am concerned.
Looking at how Aztec C65 have done this over 25 years ago seems useful, and
an excellent test case for determining whether or not a community is willing
to accept some improvements."

"I could cite several examples over the years. This doesn't diminish cc65's
value and excellence."

"Unless this attitude changes, which is doubtful, I doubt if you'll ever see
any contributions from me going into their compiler libraries.  I'll simply
fork the compiler, and provide my own distribution, with kickass
documentation and utilities."

"It would of course be easier and much less work for me if the cc65 crew
would wake-up and realize that someone else might have a great deal to offer
if the attitude was less one-sided and more encouraging."

"At this point I don't give a rat's ass if my code ever makes it into cc65
as long as it works with their compiler. I do love what Oliver has done with
cc65. I may need to ask Oliver to rewrite some of my code at some completion
point but I am far from that right now, and really just getting started with
porting my Aztec C65 examples and utilities."

Bill