Re: [cc65] __fastcall__

From: Spiro Trikaliotis <ml-cc651trikaliotis.net>
Date: 2015-01-14 19:59:10
Hello,

* On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:18:00AM +0100 Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
> On 14/01/15 07:09, Andreas Koch wrote:

> > Any chance to support the GeoRAM/NeoRam and/or REU on the C64?
>
> REU ist not ”banked” memory.  To ”bank in” another code segment would
> need to *copy* the code from REU into the C64 RAM.  This is done via DMA
> so it is fast compared to copying with 6510 code, but still very slow
> compared to bank switching hardware.

That's true. Nevertheless, it is usable. ;)

I used this approach for writing my "TS-DOS" hobby project approximately
25 years ago.  I tried to mimic the API of MS-DOS. I even went so far as
to mimic the segment + offset addressing. Here, the segment was used as
an index into the REU. This way, I was able to have almost all of 512 KB
for TS-DOS, in segments of 16 KB.

Unfortunately, this disk I wrote this on broke before I made a copy of
it. Thus, all of it as well as the documentation is long gone... :(

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis