Re: [cc65] ld65 does not generate map file on "Start address too low" error

From: Ullrich von Bassewitz <uz1musoftware.de>
Date: 2015-10-19 21:32:32
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 02:58:51PM -0400, Brad Smith wrote:
>    ld65 will still generate a map file on a regular segment overflow, but if
>    you have another segment that follows the overflowed one with a start
>    address, the "start address too low" error appears to prevent generation
>    of the map file.

The reason is that there is special code that handles memory area overflows
and outputs a short map file to help fix the problem. This is not the case
when a "start address too low" error is triggered.

It is rather difficult to proceed in case of errors, because the collected
data is inconsistent and may may cause the linker to crash later.

If you feel brave, you might try changing the error to a warning in config.c
around line 1893 and increment "Overflows" (like in the handling of "Memory
area overflow" ca. line 1945). After a quick look at the code I think this
might work, but as said before, you might have to fix problems with inconstent
data in other places.

Regards

Ullrich von Bassewitz                                  uz@musoftware.de
Encrypted email preferred                          PGP Key-Id: 29D93B10